Thursday, February 02, 2006

That Still, Small Voice

Friday, January 27, 2006

That Still, Small Voice

Roadie and I woke around 8 am for our morning routine of going outside to say ‘hello’ to the new day. We began packing the Explorer and I felt a need for meditation – sitting silent, alone, still. As I began to meditate so many things came rushing through my creative mind. I kept the focus on grounding myself to earth and finding my energy from God, the Universe and allowing both earth energy and spiritual energy to flood my body and flow effortlessly through it, clearing any blockages, cleansing my thoughts, and renewing my energy. Roadie normally lies quietly beside me, however, this time he curled up in my lap. As I finished, I felt renewed and ready for the day. Two hours had passed unexpectedly; normally my meditations are about 15 minutes. I finished packing the Explorer, cleaned the mornings dishes, readied The Cabin in the Woods, locked it up, drove past the gate and locked it all up. I believe this is the way a proper quest should be, to always leave the place where they are a quest in better shape than they found it and with great care and appreciation shown through this gesture for the host or hosts. We drove over to wonderful Lonnie’s home to say our farewells. When we knocked on the door, dearest Finnabair answered and commented that we must have telepathy because she had just called the cabin. I shared about my two-hour meditation session and thus the delay.

We talked for a while. Dearest Finnabair showed me the completed, very beautiful, quilted coat she had made. Her, worthy Lonnie, and knowing Kathleen have a great talent for quilting, and I can see them sharing their talents with others at The Cabin in the Woods. I showed them the initial concepts of the two cabins I had seen while visiting and an idea for a garage/workshop/utility building where an older one now stands. I also showed them the drawings of how I saw the curtains for the living room, kitchen and children and creativity space, along with a concept for the cabin which included removing the ceiling above the main areas and creating a loft for single beds (a bunk space). I feel that the small bathroom of the cabin should be removed to make space in the children and creativity space for a children’s art/play area. A new bathroom, in keeping with the original concept of the cabin, would be placed outside, perhaps included in the new garage building. We all talked about the ideas and dearest Finnabair shared her thoughts about an Intentional Community and how they operated. I had emailed her the link to their website earlier suggesting that she look at how they operated to gain some ideas for how she could develop The Cabin in the Woods. Enota is an eco-village and the visitors can stay for free but have to provide labor to help with general maintenance to pay for their stay. I shared a thought about The Cabin in the Woods having special student stays during summers and other school breaks. Perhaps it might be possible to find various teachers of the arts and spiritual nature to come and teach the students while they are there to help them further their talents while they are being rejuvenated while staying there.

I mentioned that the two cabins could be built to be self contained units, so we (I’m not sure about the we part, although I keep including myself in their vision, because even though I know dearest Finnabair and worthy Lonnie seem to be including me, I haven’t been asked to share in their vision of the place formally, something I would welcome in time.) will begin to set our intent to learn about how to generate electricity from natural sources, about green water systems, about rain water collection, about solar water heating and many other aspects to preserve the grounds in a natural way. I am sure the knowledge I find about these subjects will greatly assist not only my future development and life, but also help dearest Finnabair and worthy Lonnie as they work to fulfill their dream of The Cabin in the Woods becoming a retreat for artist and writers. Concerning the above mentioned two new cabins and new garage space, I can see, especially the new garage space, them being built using some of the wood on the older buildings that will be removed over time, thus keeping with the already wonderful nature of the place. As we talked, dearest Finnabair said that if she did like Enota, then she would have to have a full time caretaker and that person would have to be very special.

Roadie and I departed and as we drove along Missouri’s rural highway 160, we drove by a café in ‘the middle of nowhere.’ Yes, they even had a sign out front that said that. Mary’s Café is a wonderful place to stop and eat if you’re ever driving through that way. I inquired of Mary Lee, the daughter of Mary who started the café, about who set up the floor plan for the café. She told me her mother did, and I responded that her mother must have been a special person who always knew the right place to put things and that they have always experienced a great success with the café. She acknowledged this by saying that they were always busy. Her and Daisha, the beautiful young lady who served us, talked about some things, I read, and I ate my wonderful vegetable plate of corn, green beans, fried okra, fried cauliflower, and fried mushrooms. I never shared my name, but I later learned that dearest Finnabair and knowing Lonnie went there for dinner and while there the mentioned that their friend had visited earlier. Apparently Mary Lee told them about my visit and they shared with her who I was. I suppose the comment made by the wonderful woman at the market in Alton is coming true, that I am a friend to all I meet. What a blessing it is to be free of all the confines of the past, not feeling worthy, to feeling able to appreciate life and people, not wanting to get hurt, not acknowledging who I was, and not being true to my self, so that I can now begin a new to enjoy life as it is meant to be enjoyed.

We drove up to Poplar Bluff, Missouri, and the cell phone began to come alive. It no sooner came alive, when we had to turn onto another highway and the signal was gone. I kept driving but kept hearing Gabriel say to turn around and go back, so I asked him why. He told me that I had a voice message I needed to hear. Thus, I turned back and drove to where I could get a good signal. I checked voice messages and sure enough there was one I needed to hear. Stephen had called to say how excited they (he and his partner Archie) were that I was coming to visit. So I called them and told them I was on my way. While I was parked there I saw the most unusual sight – a round rainbow in the sky wrapped by a cloud. I had never seen one of these before and when I told dearest Finnabair about what I had seen she commented that it was a good omen for me. After talking with Stephen and Archie I decided it would be possible to drive straight through to their apartment in Bloomington, Indiana. As we were driving through Southern Illinois I saw that I had cell phone reception, so I called dearest Finnabair and informed her of my intents. I also called Dave and Vic, proprietors of Genuine Joe’s in Austin, and talked with them. Vic asked if I had driven through Cairo and I acknowledged that I had indeed. He told me that was where he was from, where he had grown up. I find it amazing how much I’m learning about other people through my travels. It was good to talk to them as I have missed seeing and talking with them. I had also expressed a desire to have them come up to The Cabin in the Woods at some point. Dave used to work for Home Depot and he and Vic renovated the old house that now is the home of Genuine Joe’s Coffee House, so I know his talents would greatly assist with the development of the cabin, that is if dearest Finnabair and worthy Lonnie would be agreeable to their visiting. I’m sure I will find this answer as soon as they have read this. Oh, before I departed, I asked what type of talents they would like to have come visit the cabin to help them. Dearest Finnabair said that she wanted someone with fence building knowledge, someone who knew how to use a chain saw to clear the fence line. I said I had the chain saw knowledge and that I would ask the Universe to introduce me to the person who will come out to help build the new fence. I have also asked for the following talented people to be presented – someone with great skill in stonework, someone with great skill in carpentry, someone with great skill in organic gardening, and someone with great skill and a love for cooking healthy foods. I know that upon my adventures I will meet these special people who will enjoy sharing in the vision that dearest Finnabair and worthy Lonnie have of that special place. Dearest Finnabair did acknowledge her desire that they come sometime in the Spring or Summer as that is when they usually are there to work, so they can escape the South Texas heat.

I arrived in Bloomington, Indiana around midnight. I had thought I would be here earlier, however, the back road I took went straight through many small towns at very low speeds. I was greeted with great enthusiasm at Stephen and Archie’s. We all talked for a while and then headed to sleep.

Thought for the day: Do you listen to that still small voice or are you rushing through life? I’m finding that as I begin to listen to that still small voice within (I’m believing that it’s Gabriel talking) that I am becoming more aware of the correct things I should be doing and how wonderful life can be, the treasures it holds by not rushing through life.