Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Snow and Wild Turkeys

I suppose I needed rest because last night after having dinner with Kathleen at the Possum Grape Café, I came home and fell asleep on the chair. I don’t know what time it was when I crawled into bed, but it was about 7:30 am when I awoke. Much to my surprise Roadie was still asleep with me the whole time; the ever-faithful companion, not to mention he’s a great bed warmer.

This morning, as usual, we head outside. As we opened the door and walked out onto the front porch suddenly, there was a flurry of large, dark, flying objects. It took me a moment, but soon realized that they were wild turkeys. They flew off into the trees as we walked out into the front lawn. Thus I suppose the animal totem for today is going to be the Turkey. Although I think it’s going to be assisted by the Raven, as the raven has been flying around since the turkeys were here.

As I sit here this very cold morning, there are snow flurries outside. Roadie keeps looking out the window with an inquisitive look. Today we are setting our intents upon going into town to help Shelia at the Workshop that helps people with disabilities. We met her yesterday afternoon through Kathleen because she needed help with Quickbooks. The Workshop is a small nonprofit agency and I have noticed it several times. It’s been a long time since I worked in Quickbooks, so I brought the instruction book to the cabin to review it.

The Turkey as a Totem represents Shared Blessings. The Turkey is the symbol of sacrifice. It gives life so others may live. Many saints and mystics have Turkey as a totem. With a Turkey totem, you have transcended self. You act and react on behalf of others. This act is not a sense of moralism or guilt, but a deep knowledge that all life is sacred. What you do for others, you also do for yourself. To have a Turkey totem is a true gift. Its gift may be spiritual, material or intellectual. Through giving to others will you reach your own goals. The Turkey is linked to the third eye, the seat of feminine energies within us, and the center for higher vision. Turkey is also the symbol of the Mother Earth and her abundant harvest. All of Earth's blessings and the ability to use them to their greatest advantage are part of Turkey's teachings.

I feel that I need rest, lots of rest. I think that’s why I slept so long last night. I’ll set my intentions towards finding plenty of time to rest until I feel my body is ready to get going again. I suppose with snow flurries outside, I’m being encouraged to stay inside, curled up in a quilt, warm, safe, and loved by Roadie as he curls up with me.

Wednesday Continued:

It’s now 8 pm and Roadie and I have been playing outside as the sun came out to visit. I started burning a pile of old limbs in front of the cabin because it was very cold and it was a good way to warm up and remove some unsightly piles of limbs. I enjoyed the fire and am still watching it out the window – the flames flickering lightly, the embers glowing red and orange, and the idea of the power of fire.

I worked today setting up the Quickbooks for a nonprofit in Alton that works with disabled people. They were in a challenging position with their current setup and I was asked if I would help by Kathleen who was trying to fix it for them. I have most of it set up now so all I have to do is put it onto a CD and take it up to them. I’m sure there will be some more time spent helping them. I guess this is part of the Turkey, giving of myself, my talents, to help others.

Yesterday I forgot to mention a very special event – I saw a Bald Eagle sitting perched atop a tree just watching us as we drove by. My best friend had shared a vision he had recently had about an eagle becoming me and I came to him. Thus I will also share the aspect of Eagle as an animal totem. I have been receiving my animal totem meanings from Lin at http://www.linsdomain.com/. She has a lot of various things on her web site and she will even do a reading for you. Please check out her web site if you get a chance.

The Eagle as a Totem represents Spirit, Healing, and Creation. The eagle is symbol of the zenith. A great reminder of your own ability to soar to great heights. Eagles are messengers from heaven and are the embodiment of the spirit of the sun. Those with an Eagle totem need to have an involvement with creation; a willingness to experience extremes; a willingness to use your ability even if it means getting "scorched" a little as you fly high; a willingness to seek out your true emotions. A demanding totem, but one that offers so much reward at the end of the journey. Its four-toed feet remind you to stay grounded even went soaring high; its talons remind you to grasp the things of the earth;Its sharp beak shows you when to speak, how much, and how strongly. This totem will show you opportunities and how to ride the winds to your benefit. Eagle people can live in the realm of the spirit yet still remain connected and balanced within the realm of the Earth. You must become much more than you ever dreamed possible.

I have been feeling a little lost so I think I need to spend a few days just reading, meditating, and asking questions. Perhaps this was the message of Eagle and Turkey, that I find my balance between mother earth and the spiritual world. I suppose that’s why I’m feeling a little lost. I need some time to focus and center, to ground myself, to find the meanings of the things that have been presented. To slow down some, to get back into a routine of morning hot tea, meditating, prayer, reading and then enjoying nature. Yes there is work to be done, however, I’m learning that I need to do these things first so I can have a focused and cleared mind.

The next few days should be good for this because it’s supposed to be very cold. I know a lot of people don’t like the cold, however, I enjoy it. Crawling into cold sheets, shivering as you get comfortable, creating a warm spot, and feeling the coolness against your skin is incredible. It makes me feel again. It’s just the same when I awake. Sticking your nose out of the covers, feeling the coolness of the air around you when you crawl out of bed, feeling the coolness of the floor as you step on it, and taking a deep breath of fresh cool air wakes me up with vigor.

Thought for today: Whom have you helped lately? There are many worthwhile agencies that need help. What do you desire to give back to the community around you? Even if it’s just cleaning, helping with errands, or spending time with someone you can make a difference and you don’t have to give by giving money. You can give with your time.