Saturday, December 15, 2007

La Gripa

So, just imagine you've been traveling and you haven't felt well, especially for the last week. Now imagine you know you should go see a doctor, but you're not sure how to here, so all you do is find a local "farmacia" and get what you hope will be good medication for your cold. Oh, la gripa is Spanish for a cold. For the last two weeks I've been struggling with this head cold I caught in Panama and just when I thought I was over it, it came back even stronger. Now I'm nursing the cold and taking some medications that are similar to alka seltzer, but for colds and flu. Even the vitamin C has to be put in the water to dissolve.

I didn't get out on Friday or today because I wanted to get rid of this cold, so I've been held up in my room just relaxing, napping, and taking medications every four hours. All I know is that I hope this is gone by Monday as it's getting harder to concentrate on my studies with this cold getter worse.

I hope everyone is doing well and are preparing for the holiday season. Tonight marked the beginning of the Christmas celebration here in Antigua as denoted by the very loud and continuous fireworks, firecrackers, and blinking lights. Next Thursday there is going to be a big street party here in front of the hotel and it's free for everyone.

Today also marked the nightly processions of Mary and Joseph as they search for a place to rest on their trip. A group of people each night take off and walk the streets knocking on doors and finally arriving at a prearranged home for refreshments. This continues each night until the 24th.