Tuesday, December 18, 2007

La experiencia de la farmacia

Sometimes things work out for a reason we can easily identify, like today, and other times it may take us some time to ascertain that things actually did work out for the best. This afternoon I overslept and missed my class at Noon. Thankfully, my professor came to my hotel to check on me because she knew I hadn't been feeling well. I told her that I was sorry, but I didn't think I could do classes today and she said come on I'm taking you to the pharmacy. I said, "great, thanks, I'll be right back, I need money from my room." So a few minutes later we are walking down the cobbled streets of Antigua speaking in Spanish and it was very clear that this was my class for today. I enjoyed being out and learning to how buy things at the pharmacy. I had informed my professor that I had tried to buy antibiotics last week, but the pharmacy wanted almost $80 and I couldn't afford that. She took me to a pharmacy near the school and for less than $5 I now have a nine day supply of antibiotics and some Vick's Vapor Rub.

After the pharmacy experience we sent to the school to have one hour of class. Instead of doing lessons we just talked about things and I learned new phrases to say. But the best thing of all is that instead of paying $600 Quetzales per week for my school, I'm now going to pay only $200 Quetzales per week directly to my teacher and she is going to come to my hotel and teach me here. I had to change teachers because my other teacher, Olga, resigned over the weekend and I'm not sure why. My new teacher, Aurura, is very nice, but doesn't like to teach in the afternoons because the school doesn't pay very much for afternoon teaching. So I told her maybe we could work something out, and we did. For much less money, I'll now be getting the same lessons but in my hotel. We also talked about doing my lessons at the market and other places so I could learn how to do other things and have a lot of practice in my class time.

Now that I have some good drugs, I'm hoping this damn cold will go away and I can start to feel better. There are so many things I want to do here and with being sick, I haven't felt like doing much, especially trying to study. I have tomorrow off so I can rest and today I'm going to sleep a lot and just rest. Things do work out, it's just sometimes we get to see just how much they do.