Monday, July 03, 2006

Rain and Thunder

Have you ever had a night of restless sleep where you feel as if you have been struggling with someone all night? I awoke this morning a bit stiff, anxious, and concerned about why I had struggled so much last night. Thus, the first thing I did was to curl up in my quilt, sit up straight and meditate. I figured that if I had struggled that much with something in my sleep, I wanted to be clear in my mind before I started my day. Focused and centered. I’m not as anxious now as when I first awoke.

I feel like I’m on the verge of something wonderful, something is about to change, maybe it’s me? This morning’s I Ching reading was related to yesterday’s so it seems that everything is running together. That the lessons I’m learning are related to each other. Since the I Ching reading isn’t very long today, I’ll just retype it here. Today’s reading was yesterday’s Changing Hexagram. (You can learn more about what a Changing Hexagram is when you learn about the I Ching.)

“This hexagram is composed of K’an (rain) and Chen (thunder), two of the most active trigrams. Their interaction describes the ‘teeming chaotic profusion’ that creates multiple possibilities at the beginning of new situation, so that we do not know which way to go. We must not allow ourselves to be intimidated by the storm – the flux and ambiguity of such times – so that we jump to the conclusion that Fate is against us, and that we are left to resolve the situation without any help. Restless action interferes with the creative process unfolding. If we can persevere in non-action and disengagement, the Creative will resolve everything correctly.

Often we receive this hexagram when we have allowed the stress of the situation to prevent us from gaining a true perspective. Feeling unable to wait for the perspective to become clear, we virtually jump to any solution that offers itself, or we fall back into old ways of doing things and abandon the slow, step-by-step way of the Sage to ‘go with the flow’ and allow the correct way to show itself. A true perspective is possible only when we disperse the pressures that urge us to act, and when we relinquish seeing the situation as a problem requiring intervention. It is also important to ask help of the Higher Power to gain the insight that makes progress possible.

During the difficult times at the beginning we need to realize that everything that happens has good purposes that will be understood later. We are at the dynamic moment in which an inner-world change is beginning to precipitate into an outer-world change; whether the change is carried to completion depends on our not interfering, and on our seeking guidance from the Sage of the I Ching, and following it.”


(Quote from A Guide to the I Ching, by Carol K. Anthony)

So it is that I’ve been praying a lot to the Divine God/Goddess and asking for understanding, clarity, and help to guide me along this path. The path winds around the trees, over the hillside, around the lakes and streams, and I can only see so far, so it is with faith that I believe and keep going along my life path as directed knowing that the Higher Power will reveal what I need to know when it is time.

Thought for now: Are we interfering in things when we should be sitting back and allowing them to unfold as they may? What causes our feeling or need to react to something? I think there is wisdom here and I’m eager to ask myself these same questions the next time I feel the need to act upon something, when maybe all I need to do is sit quietly, pray and believe.