Saturday, July 22, 2006

A Fairie Glen

I haven’t often cried of late, however, the other evening as I was watching “A Fairy Tale” I began to cry. The movie was a true story about two little girls that were able to take photos of fairies in England some many years past. As I watched the movie I realized why I was crying. The woods around the family farm have always held the magic of the fairies, gnomes, and other forest creatures, but since the woods were destroyed by unknowing ideas I’ve sensed that the magic was gone. Yes, the fairies, gnomes and many other forest creatures had to leave to find new places to live. I asked my sister if she knew about fairies, she laughed and said they didn’t exist. I asked her if she believed in angels, and she said, “yes.” Then I proceeded to tell her about the many other spiritual type of creatures such as fairies, sprites, gnomes, and other things. I don’t know that she believes yet, but the seeds are planted.

Inside the new circular driveway is an area that is currently barren except for the well, pump system, and a few large Oak trees. I’ve cleaned it all up, burned the abundance of leaves and now it’s a playground for the creative process. I wish I had the financial means to just begin the process, but I suppose that’s part of the fun is to create as you have means and then finding ways of doing things when you don’t have the funds. I’ve decided to invite the various forest creatures back by creating a wonderful playground for them. Inside the circular drive is to become the Fairie Glen with a waterfall, some small ponds, lots of plants, flowers, rocks, moss, and I’m even going to build a fairie castle. I got the idea while watching the movie, because the two little girls built a playhouse for the fairies and put it out by the stream where they played. Maybe by creating a special place just for the fairies and other forest creatures, then perhaps they will bring the magic back. I’ve already noticed various birds and other creatures starting to come and visit around the house and gardens, even the hummingbirds are back now.

So I suppose a slow and steady process will help to bring things about so I’ve started with the basics of designing the overall layout of the Fairie Glen area and what the feel is to be when someone walks through the space. It will have two aspects to it, the view as you approach it from the driveway and the experience you have when you enter the magical space inside. I’m a bit excited about the prospect of having such a fun project, although it may be daunting at times because there will be a lot of work. I’ll have to bring in lots of dirt, large rocks, small rocks, water pumps, concrete, plants, and then the project of building a covering for the pump system and well. I’m thinking that the fairie castle will be positioned on top of the well house or near it. I’ll do as the I Ching has suggested by going in a slow and steady direction. But I’m excited.

Today my niece arrives back from Alabama. I’m going to clean the house, do laundry, and work on some other projects inside today. I’ve let the inside go for the last few days because I’ve been working so much on the outside with the new arrival of plants and mulch I had to get things going out there. The plants in the garden greatly enjoy the new mulch especially in the 105-degree heat because it helps to keep the moisture in the ground around them and I’m sure it keeps them cooler. I’m not sure what all is taking place around me, but I know that the things I’ve been working to help my sister regarding developing a positive relationship with her daughter and my mother has been stirring up some conversations. My sister gave up her power some time ago to be a mother and gave that power to my mother, so I’ve been working to guide her into taking back her power and realizing that she has the ability to respond to being a mother. Thus my niece is changing schools, she will be having limited time with my mother and her husband, and she will learn new responsibilities at home. I’ve missed her all summer, so I’m ready for her to be back home. Children have a way of bringing the fun to life.

While my niece has been gone, I’ve improved her bedroom and decorated it some so I’m hoping that she will like the new room. I was going to paint it, but her arrival is premature and I won’t have another week as believed. I’m eager to see how much she has grown and changed while she’s been gone. I’m excited to have her return.

Thought for now: Do you believe in fairies?