Saturday, November 03, 2007

Multi-national Conversations

So, Joel, Per, and Johan from Sweden, all at age 19, worked all summer to pay for their trip to Costa Rica and Panama, they were robbed in Panama, and for young kids who worked hard to pay for their trip, that was a lot of money for them to loose. At the moment Joel is sporting whiskers on his cheeks painted there by one of the German girls because she said he looked like a kitten. They were excited when I introduced them to Ben from Denmark, I suppose because they all speak the same language. These boys make me laugh because they are all so animated.

Yes, I’m sitting here conversing with people much younger and from other parts of the world. It’s funny, but the American contingent is currently passing around a joint. OH MY GOSH!, how stupid. The laws here in Costa Rica are very strict about such things and I cannot believe they are doing this. They are all from California, but they are also young. Two of the Australian hippies, one of the guys from Switzerland, and some of the German girls are all enjoying the relaxing nature of the joint. I had to move because I was getting high just by sitting near them.

Moritz, is from Germany and just finished his studies in Physics and is here on holiday until he starts his first job at a hospital in January. It’s funny, the California gang looks like they are from California of old (that hippie aspect), and even the guy from Colorado is talking about being from California, it’s not surprising he’s from there originally. I’m laughing at all of the various conversations in languages I don’t understand, yet at the same time there are attempts at having conversations in each other’s languages. Occasionally I hear words I can understand, thus I’m able to at least gain some understanding of what they are talking about.

The two Ben’s are from Denmark and Seattle, Washington. They are both handsome. The Denmark Ben is thinking of living here and is traveling extensively because he doesn’t want to work. When the subject of costs came up he promptly said, it’s on credit and I have another $10,000 to go. I suppose he’ll have to work at some point, but for now he’s happy and leaves tomorrow to go surfing for a bit.

Lavinia and several others are also from Germany. There are people from Switzerland, Australia, Colorado and California all talking together next to me, all of them high at the moment, I’m surprised I’m not.

Anja, the girl with the kitten whiskers is also from Germany. It’s now almost 3 am and I’ve been playing poker with two of the Germans. I lost, but it was fun. Who knew that Germans knew how to play Texas Hold’em. Now it’s time for bed.