Monday, November 19, 2007

An Education in Backpacking.

After an afternoon of beers with the gang here at Pangea and a night out on the town (20 of us in all), I spent today relaxing and napping a lot. I was supposed to depart today for Manuel Antonio on the Pacific side of Costa Rica, however, I needed today to recover from last night. I depart in the morning early and should be there around Noon. I´m learning to just go and do and not to worry about making reservations as it seems the way of the backpackers. I´ve also learned to consolidate clothing to just one small backpack - a pair of jeans, a long sleeve shirt, a pair of shorts, some underwear, a few socks, and a couple of T-shirts and short sleeve shirts. The rest of my clothes are stored in Pangea´s store room for access upon my return. This way of traveling is very freeing, even if it means you wear the same clothes for a few days.

Tonight dinner was enjoyed with Will (age 22 from London) at Restaurante Marisco. For $4 I had a huge meal, so much that I couldn´t eat it all. Oh, Marisco in Spanish is Fish. After dinner we walked over to show him the prostitutes at the Hotel del Ray (ray is King in Spanish) and then both returned to our respective hostels for the night. Now I´m enjoying the cool evening air and will be retiring so I can get up early and catch the bus.

I´m learning that living in the moment and making decisions for what to do each day is very freeing. I know that I want to go to Guatemala to study Spanish, however, I also want to go to San Isidro to visit the intentional community there. So I will make the decision as to where to go when the time arrives. I´m also learning to just take each day as it comes and experience it with all the newness that each day offers.

Thus, if anyone is reading this, I´ll be in Manuel Antonio tomorrow for a bit and then I might catch a bus to Mal Pais, with an expected return to San Jose on Saturday. I´m not sure if I´ll have internet access, but I´ll post something when I can.