Monday, November 12, 2007

El Pueblo on Sunday evening.

Sunday evening turned into an interesting evening with conversations about various issues, watching the Colts and Chargers football game while drinking beers, and then a night out at El Pueblo. I cannot tell you how few times in my life I have actually watched a football game, but last night was actually fun. The Chargers were up 23 points at the end of the first quarter. Everyone was supporting the Chargers, so I announced I was going to support the Colts. The rest of the game turned into an exciting time of fumbles, interceptions, and a constant struggle for scores. The atmosphere in the TV was incredibly high in emotions. What started out as Justin and I watching the game turned into Chris and Salena (from Canada), Jon and Dave (from New Zealand), Tim (from the UK), Leith (from Houston, TX), Pairla and Morgan along with Randal (all living in Costa Rica) watching the game together. Conversations where non-stop throughout the evening about who was from where, how old they were, why they were in San Jose, and about where they have been in Central and South America. After the Chargers won the game by 2 points everyone decided to go out to the clubs. El Pueblo is a small village with many clubs and shops. The club Twister was the first stop and played some nice Latin music. We all enjoyed dancing on the small dance floor, especially Jon who towers above us all at 6’3”. The next stop, but only for myself, Pairla, Morgan and Randal, was Ebony. As the name implies it’s a black club that played Latin Reggae music. I stayed for a bit to enjoy the music, but after a bit found the crowd very boring, so I left to join the others. After not finding which club they had gone to, I caught a taxi back to the hostel.

Tim, the man from the UK I spoke with, left early this morning on a bus to Puntarenas to meet his girlfriend. He and the boys from New Zealand were asking questions about American football during the game and then informing us about Rugby and Soccer (different sports with different balls and rules. I didn’t know this and always figured they were the same thing.) Thus the evening was an educational one in many respects. I wish Tim safe travels and that things get better for his girlfriend.

Today was one of those sleeps late days. It’s been a totally relaxing day, except for my short walk to the local panareria (bakery) and Mercado (market) to purchase food supplies. A nap in the afternoon, continued Spanish studies, and conversations with Justin completed the afternoon.

At the moment, the upstairs patio is full of people. Four men playing some type of card game, three people talking about volunteering at Tortunga with the sea turtle program, four others smoking and talking about something, some at the computers, and others enjoying dinner and drinks. I hear the weather in La Fortuna and Monteverde has improved so I may head up there to see the Arenal Volcano and try out some of the adventure tours – the canopy tours, the white water rafting, and hiking up to the volcano. If I don’t leave tomorrow, then I may go one day this week. I’m just taking every day one day at a time and enjoying it for what it is.

Justin was telling me about his Spanish studies in Guatemala, so I will have to look into those as well because he said it was very good and only $80 a week. So tonight I will be researching the cities of San Pedro, Antiqua, and Panajachel where the Spanish schools are. I hear from everyone that rooms in Guatemala are only like $3 to $5 US. Many people have commented on how friendly the people there are and how inexpensive it is there, thus I’m going to check it out and see if I can find out about possible citizenships similar to those of Costa Rica and Panama for retirees. It’s now turning 10 pm so I’m going to stop writing and do some Internet research.