Friday, April 07, 2006

Friends

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Tonight as I drove to the campsite many songs played on the radio that reminded me of friends. “If you get the chance to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.” “Love is all I need.” These were just some of the lyrics I heard as sweet honey upon my ears and heart. Today as I met with a dear client I was amazed at how wonderful of a man he was. I looked at him and the other clients I have and I had to comment to the homeowner that she indeed had one of the most incredible Realtors for not many would help her paint, remove shrubs, move furniture and in general go the lengths he has gone with her and many other clients before. Many of my Realtor clients are of remarkable character; they go above and beyond the normal service of listing the property. They invest their hearts into their listings and the homeowners. They have all helped me realize the truth that we should reach beyond ourselves to help others realize their dreams and desires.

When we are focused only upon our own desires and dreams, passions, then we can end up hurting those around us. Not because we mean to, but because we are too focused on ourselves to really see or care about those around us. As I sat tonight watching the sun set slowly into the Texas Hill Country over Lake Travis the most beautiful thunderstorm, complete with a light show to rival many theatrical stages, appeared on the horizon. The oohhhs and aaawwweeeess from all of those sitting on the decks of the Oasis could be heard, I’m sure, for miles as everyone commented not with words, but with awe of the wonders of nature. I’ve captured this moment through my camera and will set my intentions to share those photos here also.

I was blessed tonight to be able to share this wonderful moment with my friend Kelly. He, like most of my long-term friends, are remarkable people. They give of themselves to those they love. And, Kelly glows of late because his heart is filled to overflowing with love and awe of the mysteries of life. Yes, he’s in love with a new man. It showed in the way he spoke of his new boyfriend, the way he just radiated from within, and the way he held himself. Love is a powerful thing. It can lead us to places we’ve only dreamed of or it can take us to depths we’ve never believed we could fall to. Lately I’ve witnessed both sides as I’ve watched how others have been affected by love and passion. With Kelly it has allowed him to soar to newer heights, to free himself to explore the wonders of the universe, to be himself. On the other hand, I’ve witnessed what love and passion can cause on the dark side when it is hidden in secret, careless and reckless. When love is treated this way it can cause so much harm to those around. I wish that those who fall into this latter section of love’s scheme would come into the light and face the truths of what they are experiencing so that they wouldn’t harm those around them.

As I watched, talked, and shared the resounding thunderous sounds of the evening with Kelly, I wished that more people could experience the freedom of love that he is experiencing. Many people put limitations upon love, but love isn’t something that can be put in a box. It has to be free to just be. Love.

While sharing the marvels of the evening several other friends called. As I drove around the lake to get to the camp ground where Roadie and I are calling home for a bit, thoughts of how special all of my friends are and have become, and my new emerging roll as advisor, confidant, friend, minister, and guide within our friendships. My true friends are those that accept me as me – a very unique individual with creative insight and a lust for life and the mysteries of knowledge and truth. I have accepted them for who they are – the purple people eaters, the geniuses, the mystics, the seekers, and the lovers. I am indeed blessed to have such wonderful friends who can just sit and marvel with me at the drama that nature creates for our amusement and entertainment. Those friends who can just sit and hold your hand without words to let you know that they care and are there for you.

Some friends delight in conversation, but I believe it’s those friends who can just sit without talking and share their inner most thoughts and feelings with each that can be counted as true friends. These friends are always aware of the fragile nature of relationships, the need to acknowledge the thoughts and feelings of others, the need to express themselves honestly and without fear, and most importantly to just be and enjoy being.

Thought for now: What type of friends are you creating in your life? What type of friend are you to others? Perhaps if we can learn to share our thoughts, listen to others thoughts, and learn to share our joys and sorrows together, then we might find the peace and happiness that life has to offer.