Friday, March 17, 2006

Beginnings and Endings

It’s also St. Patrick’s Day, so I suppose it’s a day to wear green.

“Haven’t you learned anything? The crow snorted. “There is no beginning. And some beginnings are endings anyway.”

I have started reading “The Return of Merlin” by Deepak Chopra and the above quote was taken from the book. I have always loved the stories of Camelot, King Arthur, Merlin, and the Lady of the Lake. The stories of magic at a time when literalist Christianity was beginning to take over and called magic evil. How silly it is to look back on those times now knowing that those Christians just wanted to gain power. Is that the purpose of spirituality – to gain power? Power of self, yes. Power over others, no. Shouldn’t our own spirituality help guide others into knowing?

I believe what the crow snorted is true; that there are no beginnings as we, as energy, have always been. Yet, some believe that our physical birth was a beginning and our physical death will be an ending, but will our death not be a beginning? Just to think upon the above quote and it’s many meanings can take a mind into hours of curious philosophy.

I have also started to read “Permanent Healing” by Daniel R. Condron. It’s a book about the power of thoughts and quantum mechanics of healing. My friend Lee sent it to me as a gift. Lee came last weekend to visit me here at the Cabin and it was refreshing to have some company. I had been walking all over and wasn’t aware of the dangers of ticks until I took Lee walking. As we were returning to the cabin we discovered ticks crawling all over us. I suppose I’ll have to prepare myself for future walks during the warm seasons. I remembered something my grandmother always made us do, so I took a bath in Lysol. Roadie even has a new flea and tick collar.

Life just is and I suppose that is what I’m learning. I’m to just enjoy the moment. The power of my thoughts kept me a bit down of late and as I began to meditate and change my thoughts I began to feel brighter again, excited about living. Also seeing some things completed here at the cabin has helped as I slowly see progress with the beauty being brought about. The new stone planter beside the stairs is filled with Irises and Chrysanthemums. The new stone-edged planter around the front of the cabin is filled with Hyacinths, Daffodils, Day Lillies, and Irises. I hope one day to see the new front garden design completed, if not by me, then by the others who come after me. I’ve set the stage so others can see how beautiful it can become here. I’ve been laying out rocks to line the new circular driveway and some paths to and fro. There’s even an area laid out for a solar powered waterfall, stream and Koi pond in front of the cabin. The area in front of this will be grass edged with small flowers and the area behind will be full of various kinds of plants and flowers. This will be a miniature landscape to remind others of the whole earth.

Galen Rose, the gentleman who used to own this property, must have had a vision of something special here as every where I turn and the things I’m doing seem to work with what he had done previously. The new walkway to the front door also leads directly out to two Leland Cypress trees that aren’t planted in line with the others. He must have known that the small building up from the cabin was special because the various lines of trees he planted all lead straight to it. It’s the building I see one day becoming a Meditation Chapel, a place of prayer, thought, and developing ones spirituality. The building needs some loving attention. I see it being raised up with a new stone base and stone stairs, stained glass in the three low openings (as I have thought about the low openings it occurred to me that if one was kneeling or sitting then those openings would be at eye level, so they are perfect.), a simple wood door with a small sign to honour Galen Rose’s vision, the exterior remaining simple wood, the roof being cedar shakes, and the interior being white-washed. I only see two small benches and some larger pillows for sitting or kneeling.

As the old garage has been cleaned out, organized and the area around cleaned up it is showing its beauty and future purpose. It would make a great pottery studio with a wood-fired kiln. It would need to have a concrete floor installed, some better siding and new windows, not to mention a new metal roof.

I’ve been putting bird food out and greatly enjoy seeing the various birds on the front porch and out the kitchen window. A particular red bird came and hung out with Roadie and I while we built the stone planter out front.

My friend Lee, who came to visit, called to ask if it was OK to give the cabin phone number to some of the people at his Unitarian Church, as they seemed excited and very interested in knowing more about The Cabin in the Woods. I said yes, but reminded him to tell them that it was up to Finnabair as to who could come to visit and when. Well, today the intentions are to head over to Lonnie and Kathleen’s to do some laundry and build Lonnie a workstation for screening the dirt he uses in the garden.

Thought for now: What do you believe about beginnings and endings?