Saturday, February 16, 2008

The Eve of a Return

As I sit here in the TV room at the Hostel Pangea, where I have enjoyed many a conversation and movie, thoughts run through my mind about my return to the states. What will it be like to be back in Austin after my lengthy absence? How will I find my friends doing? But I know that no matter what, for now, the return is just temporary as I have a strong desire to keep traveling.

I returned here to the Hostel Pangea because that was were my bags were stored over the last few months, however, upon my return I found huge price increases. Thus, I doubt I shall return to the Hostel Pangea because it's not really affordable now. I am sure in time they will learn that increasing prices so much will only hurt the good reputation that they developed amongst the backpackers because the backpackers will start talking about another location instead. Granted, it's a nice place, but it has the feel of a prison these days with all of the new controls. There isn't a place to have quiet because there is music playing every where, including outside where the guard stands, which gets to be annoying in the TV room because we have to keep turning the volume up just to hear the TV. It would be nice if they could make some changes and only play music in certain areas, have the guard turn down his radio, and create some nice sitting areas where people could just relax. But I'm sure what happens with their business will only be determined by time, but as for me, I doubt I shall return.

I like to find new places, and as such, will look to find a new place in San Jose to stay when I need to be here. But, for now, I have to think of what I shall be doing back in Texas and planning my trip through Mexico. A trip that I'm excited about doing, mostly because of being able to visit with my best friend in Puerto Vallarta. I've decided after Mexico to go see the Northern parts of Guatemala that I missed, like Tikal and Sumuc Champey, and hopefully go to see more of El Salvador.

I've packed my bags, taken a shower, shaved, and prepared myself for the trip at 6 AM for the airport. It's going to be a long day as I don't get into Austin until almost 7 PM. I'll admit I'm nervous about returning, but am excited about seeing my friends there like Rebecca, Brink, Thumper, Patricia, and maybe some of my adopted family. If any of you are reading this, just remember this Thursday will be margaritas at El Arroyo on Far West Blvd. from 2 till 6 PM. See you then.