Friday, February 16, 2007

Expectations

I’ve been reading The Secret of Shambhala by James Redfield and the latest chapter deals with expectations, more specifically, how our expectations serve as prayer fields that we project out from us. If we expect and think about negative things, then negative things will happen to us because we are creating them, calling them, by our expectations. If we expect and think about positive things, then positive things will happen to us. Our expectations are projected around us, so others feel it and are affected by it. We are also affected by other’s expectations, but the more powerful expectation will prevail.

As children we grow up with the expectations that others have placed upon us, not sure what our personal expectations should be, so we take on theirs. As adults we seem to be haunted by those earlier expectations as we try to develop our own. What we think becomes reality for us, so I suppose it’s important to calm our thoughts and limit them to things that will benefit us and others. But how do we do this?

Have you ever walked into a room where everyone was sad or troubled, yet you were upbeat and happy, and upon your entrance into the room the others seem to be lifted? Have you ever feared something only to find that what you feared actually happens? Have you ever expected someone or something to act in a certain way and it did? This is what I’m talking about, the power of our expectations that are project out to others.

As I’ve been reviewing my life, especially what I’ve been believing or thinking about, I’ve come to the conclusion that I’ve been attracting the very same situations that I’ve thought about or projected. If I say I am ready to quit and withdraw, then that is what is happening. If I say I’m open and ready to be of service to others, then that is what happens. Thus, if I can learn to control my thoughts and be careful of what I’m projecting onto others then perhaps I can create a more positive environment for myself and for others. I can help others see their higher self and achieve their higher purpose.

More importantly for me, it’s in learning to project my expectations for myself so that I can learn to find the joy and happiness that I desire for myself. My hope is that if I can find how to do this for myself, then I can be an example for others.

Lately I’ve been fearful of things, afraid of being hurt, afraid that finances won’t hold out, afraid that I’ll be alone, afraid that I’m not capable of doing things any more. So it seems these are the things I’ve been expecting through my thoughts as they are what I’ve been focused upon. Now I’ll try to change that through changing my expectations into knowing that I have the financial resources I need, knowing that I won’t get hurt, knowing that I won’t be alone, and knowing that I am very capable of doing things. I know this change of mind won’t be overnight, but I know that I have to change. Thus the challenge begins.