Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Relationships

I’ve never had a meaningful relationship that lasted very long, but then again you may correctly ask, were any of them meaningful if they were short lived? The answer is yes they had meaning. Every relationship – friendship, lover, co-worker, etc. – has meaning in our lives. I believe that everyone we meet has meaning. It’s sort of a cosmic web that connects everyone together and when we chance a meeting, rather for a long time or a few seconds, then we meet to share something to guide each other along our paths. I’ve found, and recently been teaching people, that when you catch eyes with someone go talk to them because you have a reason to meet. There are no happenstances of chance, everything is weaved together in a master plan that the universal consciousness along with ourselves are creating. Deepak Chopra covered this topic in his book Synchronicity. It’s also covered in “The Celestine Prophecy” by James Redfield.

In years past I was afraid to be who I was, to be true to myself, and otherwise always trying to be what others wanted me to be. This approach didn’t work well in lover relationships because eventually your real self emerged. This time around I’m taking a chance on love and being myself. I’m opening myself to the possibilities of great love with a new man. Yes, I have doubts, fears, and concerns, however, I’m also facing each of them as them arise. I’m working through mentally what might become reality. I’m working through emotionally what is presently. Most importantly I’m taking each day one day at a time and enjoying the moments as they present themselves.

I’ve never thought about dating, or even entering into a serious relationship with someone younger, however, so it is. I’ve often wondered why I was allowed a Mentor, and what my responsibility was to other younger men. I’m finding out now. I’m the mentor, the teacher, the guide, and yet, I’m the student in this new relationship. I’m dating a younger man by 7 years. He lives in Fort Worth so it’s a challenge to date since I reside in another state. However, we are both independent natured so it allows each of us time to do the things that are important to each of us. He’s even started working with me which is something I would treasure – having a partner that works with me so we could each share our lives on various levels.

The question of relationships I believe is loving unconditionally without expectations of anything in return. If both partners are loving and living this way then perhaps there is a new level of openness. I’m enjoying this new relationship and look forward to seeing where it might lead. I believe that each relationship should be built upon the characteristics of each of the people involved in the relationship, that together they should create the kind of partnership that best suites them. Our Judeo-Christian society has taught that we have to be monogamous, we have to be married (yet they won’t allow gay people to marry), and that we have to live in the same house, and so many other things. I believe that perhaps it’s time we all stood up to realize that these kind of false ideas aren’t helping relationships – just look at the number of divorces. I believe we should be happy and enjoy our partners. And, this isn’t about sex or other items, it’s about just being able to enjoy holding each other’s hands, a short kiss stolen in a moment, or any number of signs that someone can share to let you know they care about you and are thinking about you.

I’m entering into a new relationship. Yes, I’m nervous, scared, fearful, and much more, however, I’m excited, hopeful, and longing to share my life with a special man.

Thought for now: What kind of relationships are you involved in today? Do you place expectations upon those people? Do you love them unconditionally? I encourage everyone to take a serious look at each type of relationship you have and determine how you treat those people. How do you speak to them, with them, about them, etc.? If these people mean anything to you then speak to them, with them and about them through unconditional love with no expectations of how they should or will respond. But also try this – call those things that be not as though they already were. What I’m saying is this, if you care about someone, speak and think positively of them, what they are, who they are and how they can become who they are supposed to be.